Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Meatless Monday

I mentioned last week that I went meatless ( I prefer that over the V word) quite a few months ago and that I would share some recipes I love on a "Meatless Monday" post. Well, since this is my brunch....
I figured what better time for a Meatless Monday post than a Tuesday morning?!
That's chickpea & avocado mash....that I'm kind of obsessed with at the moment. So easy. A can of chickpeas, 1 avocado, and a squeeze of lemon. Oat toast, spinach, and tomato. Mmmm.

I use a lot of chickpeas and beans for protein. I try to limit tofu because of the mixed reviews on too much soy.

Anyway. Recipe. Keep in mind that I'm taking pictures of the actual food, on my plate, ready to eat, not prepped and made pretty, with my iPhone camera. Ok, moving on...

Zucchini Meatballs. I do not like zucchini, but I love these.

olive oil
2 garlic cloves
2 large zucchini
3 tbsp. fresh basil/chopped
1 c Italian style breadcrumbs
1 egg
1/2 c parmesan romano cheese/grated
1 can crushed tomatoes or marinara

Preheat oven to 375.
Grate the unpeeled zucchini.
Saute garlic in olive oil until golden, then add the grated zucchini.
Season with a little salt and pepper.
Cook until all the water from zucchini has evaporated. Squeeze out any excess water.
Mix together zucchini, bread crumbs, egg, cheese, and basil.
Shape into small balls, place on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray, and bake for about 25 minutes until golden brown and firm.
Add to your crushed tomato or marinara and simmer for a few minutes.
I got super crazy and served over whole wheat pasta. I've also made calzones with them or just had them on their own (probably the healthiest way).


I'm also obsessed with Sweet & Sour Porcupine "Meatballs", but that's another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment