Sunday, April 10, 2011

There's no crying in baseball

What a weekend!
Everything starts to run together and the weekend seems like a blur....especially during baseball season. Saturday was Opening Day for Caln, so I bundled our little Madeline and we trucked out to the fields. Hey, I'm going to get her used to this lifestyle early, so she will be an on-the-go-kiddo! The problem was that I bundled her a little too much and she was a little too comfy because she slept almost the entire day outside, in her seat...then she was very much awake all night.
He's pitching so fast my camera can't catch up. :P


Cheering for her brother.



LOVE IT!


The perfect outfit to incorporate our BabyLegs!! hehe.



At a very young age of 4, I signed Josh up for t-ball. I had some simple rules that I explained to him before I made this decision.
#1 LISTEN TO YOUR COACH...think of them as your "Mom" on the field.
#2 ALWAYS PAY ATTENTION. Meaning don't be one of those kids picking dandelions in the outfield. Why? It's not cute, it's a safety hazard...you could get hit in the head with a ball.
#3 HAVE FUN. This is why you play...for the fun of the game. If it's no longer fun then you're done.
#4 THERE IS NO 'I' IN TEAM. Be a good teammate. Don't be a ball hog. Encourage and cheer on your fellow teammates.
#5 THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL. This was the biggest rule. I know, it may seem silly and it's a commonly used phrase, but I stand strong by this. There is nothing worse than seeing a 12 year old boy crying because he struck out, made an error in the field or gave up some runs....and I see it ALL THE TIME. I know it's a lot of pressure to have a team depend on you and then you let them down, but you know what? In the end it is still a GAME and games are for FUN. Josh knew at a very young age that if he cried, we would leave the game, so he NEVER cried, not once.
Now when I see these big 11/12 year old boys crying after a strike out or with their arms folded in right field (yes, I DID see this yesterday) I really wish their parents would have set some ground rules.

1 comment:

  1. love this!! Funny Paul and Sarah's t-ball team is Orioles too...maybe Baby Maddie can come cheer then on! lol

    ReplyDelete